For these diets and healthy eating recommendations, you can click on the link below to see the Chewfo summary of what to eat and foods to avoid / food list:
The 2-Day Diet (2013) by Dr. Michelle Harvie & Professor Tony Howell
- 2 days restricted diet: low calorie, high protein, low carb, low fat, limited dairy.
- 5 days “unrestricted” diet: moderate calorie, moderate protein, unprocessed carbs, low fat, limited dairy.
The 20/20 Diet (2015) by Dr. Phil McGraw
- Cycling diet with 3 phases per 30-day cycle.
- Focus on 20 power foods to boost metabolism and make you feel full.
- Eat 4 times a day, with protein, produce, fat, and starch with each meal.
- Phase 1 only 20/20 foods; phase 2 introduce a few other foods, phase 3 introduce a wider range; maintenance diet plan your own meals.
- Avoid (except in permitted splurges): processed foods, non-whole grains, sugar, artificial sweeteners, red meat, full-fat dairy, alcohol.
The 4-Hour Body (2010) by Timothy Ferriss
- Several diet alternatives including a slow-carb diet.
- Avoid carbs, processed foods.
- Avoid variety.
- One binge day a week.
The 5:2 Diet Book (2012) by Kate Harrison
- Intermittent fasting.
- 5 days unrestricted.
- 2 days calorie restriction to 500 calories a day for women or 600 calories a day for men.
10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse (2014) by JJ Smith
- 10-day detox/cleanse made up of green leafy veggies, fruit, and water.
- Either full cleanse (green smoothies and light snacks) or modified cleanse (green smoothies and snacks and a non-smoothie meal a day).
The 17 Day Diet (2011) by Mike Moreno
- 4 stages, progressively less restrictive.
- Start with high lean protein, high non-starchy vegetables, probiotics, no carbs.
- Add unprocessed starch and slowly increase fat, then add other whole grain starches.
The 22-Day Revolution (2015) by Marco Borges
- Eat whole plant foods – vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Aim for 80-10-10 – 80% unprocessed carbohydrates, 10% fat, 10% protein.
- Avoid animal products, processed and refined foods, sugars, artificial sweeteners.
The 100 (2013) by Jorge Cruise
- Sugars and carbs limited to 100 Sugar Calories a day.
- Eat proteins, vegetables, and fats – these are “freebies” – portion size suggestions only.
- Avoid sugar, processed foods, and caffeine.
- 3 levels of diet to test for food sensitivities, and another diet to reintroduce traditional foods.
- Potential triggers for anxiety: gluten-containing grains, dairy, gluten-free grains, starchy vegetables, legumes.
The New Atkins Diet Made Easy (2013) by Colette Heimowitz
- 4 phases, avoid sugar and processed carbs on all.
- Induction phase 1 eat proteins, foundation vegetables, fats.
- Add unprocessed carbs one type at a time using the Carb Ladder; find carb tolerance.
- Detox diet.
- Mostly plant-based foods, often raw.
- More vegetables and fewer animal products.
- Drink a green smoothie or juice every day.
- Avoid dairy.
The Belly Fat Diet (2012) by John Chatham
- Eat frequently – low-fat protein, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, & oils.
- Limited whole grains, sweet treats, & beef.
- Cheat once a week, moderately.
The Blood Sugar Solution (2012) by Mark Hyman
- Eat natural, unprocessed foods.
- Eat moderate amounts of low-glycemic-load carbs.
- Avoid dairy and gluten during the program to allow the gut to heal.
- Basic and advanced programs.
The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet (2014) by Mark Hyman
- Preparation phase: Come off caffeine, alcohol, sweetened beverages, and processed foods.
- 10-day detox: eat unprocessed foods, no gluten, grains, dairy, or beans (basically a paleo diet).
- Transition and plan for life.
The Blue Zones Solution (2015) by Dan Buettner
- Eat whole foods, mostly plant-based.
- Eat until you’re 80% full.
- Avoid processed foods.
The Body Book (2014) by Cameron Diaz
- Eat whole, unprocessed foods.
- Eat protein throughout the day, whole carbs, unsaturated fats, veggies and fruits.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid fast foods, processed foods, added sugars, saturated/trans-fats.
Brain Maker (2015) by David Perlmutter
- Eat a diet high in prebiotics, probiotics, fermented foods, low-carb foods, gluten-free foods, and healthful fat.
- Limit starchy foods.
- Avoid gluten, sugar (especially fructose), processed foods.
Breaking the Vicious Cycle (1994) by Elaine Gottschall
- Specific carbohydrate dietTM/SCD for intestinal health.
- Avoid starches and complex sugars.
- Slowly introduce laxative foods after symptoms improve.
- Eat unprocessed foods.
The Bulletproof Diet (2014) by Dave Asprey
- Drink “Bulletproof Coffee” for breakfast every day.
- Eat lots of vegetables, approved fats, some grass-fed protein.
- Avoid sugar, gluten, corn, dairy.
- Test to see which foods you’re sensitive to.
- Vegan plant-based whole foods.
- High fiber.
- Limit refined carbohydrates, added vegetable oils, fish.
- Avoid meat, poultry, dairy, eggs.
Choose More, Lose More for Life (2013) by Chris Powell
- Carb cycling between alternate high carb and low carb days – 4 patterns so you can find one that meets your needs.
- Portion control.
- High protein, whole foods, low processed foods.
Choose to Lose (2012) by Chris Powell
- Carb cycling between alternate high carb and low carb days.
- Portion control.
- High protein, whole foods, low processed foods.
Clean (2009/2012) by Alejandro Junger
- Cleansing/detox diet.
- Eat vegetables and fruits, pastured/wild animal protein, non-gluten grains.
- Some liquid meals.
- Avoid processed foods, gluten, corn, dairy and eggs, pork and shellfish, soy, alcohol.
Clean Gut (2013) by Alejandro Junger
- 80% greens and vegetables, 20% protein and good fats.
- Avoid starches, beans, most fruits, dairy, grains, factory meats, sugars, alcohol, caffeine.
- Food combining.
- Add back gluten and dairy to test them.
- Eat nonstarchy vegetables, animal or plant proteins, healthy starch or whole grain, and some fruit.
- Avoid processed foods, sugars, and fake food substances.
- Optional detox.
The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution (2012) by Marla Heller MS RD
- 2 phases, no starch or fruit or milk then low starch.
- Nonstarchy vegetables, lean proteins, beans, dairy, nuts and seeds, monounsaturated fats.
- Low processed foods.
The Digest Diet (2012) by Liz Vacariello
- 3 stages.
- High produce, high fiber; calorie control.
- Lean protein and low-fat dairy.
- Low processed foods, low bad fat / high MUFA and PUFA.
The Doctor’s Diet (2014) by Travis Stork MD
- Unprocessed, moderate-portion diet in 3 stages.
- Generous amounts of fiber-rich vegetables, legumes, and fruits.
- Moderate amounts of lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains.
- Low in sugar, simple carbohydrates, unhealthy fats, and sodium.
Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean (2012) by Ryan D. Andrews
- Vegan whole foods.
- Changing eating habits.
Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet (2010) by Jamie Koufman MD, Jordan Stern MD, and Marc Bauer
- Low fat, low acid.
- Avoid other acid reflux trigger foods.
- Blood type O similar to paleo, low-carb, and gluten-free diets.
- Blood type A similar to macrobiotic, vegetarian, and vegan diets plus wheat-free.
- Blood Types B and AB are combinations.
Eat to Live (2003/2011) by Joel Fuhrman
- Vegan/near-vegan, mostly raw.
- High nutrient density.
- No oil, no/low processed food.
- Low calorie, low protein, very low fat.
- In the short term – low starchy vegetables and whole grains.
Eat to Win, Eat to Lose (2013) by Rachel Beller MS RD, nutritionist/dietitian on The Biggest Loser
- High fiber, including vegetables, fruits, and limited whole grains.
- Vegetables/salads as a high proportion of your plate.
- Lean protein, low fat.
- No sugar, no processed carbs.
Eating on the Wild Side (2013) by Jo Robinson
- How to select and prepare vegetables and fruits for maximum nutrition.
Effortless Healing (2015) by Dr. Joseph Mercola
- Minimal to no consumption of grains and sugars, including complex carbs.
- Consume fruit in moderation – limit fructose.
- Eat raw organic vegetables, healthful fats, and grass-fed/pastured organic proteins; drink plenty of water.
- Intermittent fasting – eat in an 8-10 hour period each day
The End of Diabetes (2013) by Joel Fuhrman
- Eat lots of salads and vegetables; also legumes, some fruits, nuts, and seeds – at least 85% of caloric intake from plants.
- Minimize fish and white meat poultry.
- Avoid red meats, eggs, and oils/fats.
- Intermittent fasting.
- 5 days a week eat what you want.
- 2 non-consecutive days limit to 500 calories a day for women, 600 calories a day for men.
The Fast Metabolism Diet (2013) by Hayley Pomroy
- Diet confusion, cycling diet with a change in strategy every few days.
- No wheat, corn, dairy, soy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dried fruit or fruit juices, artificial sweeteners, fat-free “diet” foods.
Fat Chance (2013) by Robert H. Lustig
- Eat intact whole grains, eggs, meat, nuts and seeds, dairy, beans, fruits, vegetables.
- Limit fatty and slightly processed foods.
- Avoid sugars, especially fructose, and sugary / processed foods.
Fit2Fat2Fit (2012) by Drew Manning
- Low-fat, low-carb, calorie-controlled.
- Eat lean protein, vegetables, and fruits.
- Introduction phase, then slowly introduce more unprocessed carbs.
The Food Babe Way (2015) by Vani Hari
- Eat real organic foods, mostly raw, and limit animal proteins.
- Start every day with warm lemon water and a green drink.
- Avoid foods containing chemicals, fast food, sugar, and white flour; limit alcohol.
Forks Over Knives (2011) edited by Gene Stone + (2014) diet plan by – Alone Pulde MD and Matthew Lederman MD
- Eat fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains.
- Limit lightly-processed whole foods.
- Avoid all meat (including fish), dairy, and eggs, as well as processed foods.
Grain Brain (2013) by David Perlmutter MD
- Improving brain health.
- Eat a diet high in healthy fats, naturally raised animal proteins, vegetables.
- Low carbohydrate and low fruit.
- No processed carbs or sugars.
The Great Cholesterol Myth (2013) by Jonny Bowden PhD & Stephen Sinatra MD
- Heart health.
- Eat more wild salmon, grass-fed meat, vegetables, nuts, beans, berries, cherries.
- Avoid sugar, soda, processed carbs, processed meats, trans fats, excess vegetable oils.
Gut and Psychology Syndrome GAPS (2004/2010) by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD
- Extreme elimination/reintroduction diet designed as a natural treatment for behavioral and other issues.
- GAPS introduction diet – 6-stage introduction of basic foods.
- Full GAPS diet – Restrictive diet for about 2 years or until conditions have healed – unprocessed, grain-free, sugar-free, low-starch.
- Coming off the GAPS diet – Reintroduction of other foods.
- Not a diet per se.
- Suggests having green juices and green smoothies to supplement what you usually eat.
- Eat at least one green drink a day, preferably before a meal.
The Hormone Cure (2013) by Sara Gottfried
- Whole unprocessed foods.
- Organic, in season, grass-fed/wild.
- Limit or eliminate caffeine and alcohol.
- Specific guidelines for different hormonal issues.
- Eat unprocessed plant foods – beans/legumes, berries, other fruits, cruciferous vegetables, greens, other veggies, flaxseeds, nuts, turmeric, whole grains.
- Minimize processed plant foods and unprocessed animal foods.
- Avoid ultra-processed plant foods and processed animal foods.
Hungry Girl to the Max! (2013) by Lisa Lillien
- Avoid full-fat foods.
- Processed “fat-free,” “low-fat,” “low calorie,” “sugar-free” and “low sugar” foods.
- Perimenopause guidelines.
- Eat fresh, whole, unprocessed foods.
- Gluten-free and dairy-free may be best.
- Avoid processed foods, white flour, sugar, artificial additives.
It Starts with Food (2012) by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig
- Paleo, explained as healthy eating rather than ancestral eating – elimination then reintroduction diet to find out your sensitivities.
- Eat high-quality meats / animal proteins, vegetables, fruits, and fats.
- Avoid sugars and sweeteners, alcohol, seed oils, grains, legumes, most dairy, highly processed foods.
- Eat 3 times a day, avoid snacking.
It’s All Good (2013) by Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen
- Recipes for detox and other diets.
- Eat whole foods, veggies, lean protein, non-gluten grains.
- Avoid gluten, dairy, eggs, white flour, sugar.
- Very low-calorie diet for 3 weeks.
- Calories 40% protein 40% carbohydates 20% fat.
- Lots of vegetables.
- No grains after breakfast.
- Follow with The Skinny Rules for further weight loss.
The Liver Cleansing Diet (1996/2003/2008) by Sandra Cabot
- 3-stage 8-week detox diet.
- Dairy-free, mostly vegetarian, minimally processed, high fiber, low fat.
- A lot of raw veggies and fruit, juices.
Living the Good Long Life (2013) by Martha Stewart
- Longevity diet as part of general guidelines for older people.
- Plant-based foods (vegetables, beans, whole grains, and nuts and seeds), good fats, calcium-rich ingredients, seafood, and lean animal proteins.
- Detox diet, usually known as The Master Cleanse or the Lemonade Diet.
- For 10-40 days, drink only lemonade prepared in the way described, no food.
- Recommends steps for coming off the cleanse, and then a vegan lifetime diet.
The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook (2013) by Rockridge Press
- Eat fruits, vegetables, grains (mostly whole), olive oil, beans, nuts, legumes, seeds, herbs, spices, seafood.
- Limit cheese and yogurt, poultry, eggs, wine.
- Avoid or eat rarely meat, sweets foods, soft drinks, processed foods, fast food.
My Beef with Meat (2013) by Rip Esselstyn
- Unprocessed, whole foods – whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes.
- Vegan – no meat, poultry, eggs, dairy; low fat, no oil.
- Eat animal foods (dairy products, seafood, meats), especially animal fats.
- Watch the quality of the animal foods you eat.
- Eat whole grains, freshly ground; eat green vegetables liberally.
- 70% calories from plant foods, 30% from protein.
- Eat nonstarchy vegetables, protein from naturally raised animals.
- Limit grains, legumes, fruit; unprocessed, no sugar.
- Eliminate gluten, dairy, soy, corn.
- 4 phases
The Overnight Diet (2013) by Caroline Apovian MD
- 1 day a week smoothies only.
- 6 days a week high protein, high fiber, low fat.
- Cycle until you reach your goal weight, then follow the lifetime diet.
- Eat unlimited non-starchy vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins.
- Avoid dairy, cereal grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, salt, fatty meats, sugar, fruit juices, bad fats.
- 3 levels.
The Paleo Cure (2013) by Chris Kresser
The Plan (2013) by Lyn-Genet Recitas
- Elimination/rotation diet that tests your reactions to food to check what foods work with your body chemistry.
Plan D (2013) by Sherri Shepherd
- Losing weight and beating diabetes.
- High fiber, low fat, low glycemic.
- Eat your veggies, lots of water.
- Portion control and plate proportions.
- Eat every 3 hours.
- Occasional indulgences.
Power Foods for the Brain (2013) by Neal Barnard
- Eat vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruit.
- Vegan, plant-based – no meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, fish.
- Very little fat – limited vegetable oil, limited nuts and seeds.
Practical Paleo (2012) by Diane Sanfilippo
- Paleo with exceptions and with guidelines for different conditions.
- Eat unprocessed proteins and vegetables.
- Limited dairy and eggs for some people.
- No grains, no legumes, no processed foods, no refined sugars, no processed fats.
- Eat fresh foods, lots of produce; organic, local.
- Limit carbohydrates (especially refined carbs) and animal products.
- No GMO, pastured, unprocessed.
Rich Food, Poor Food (2013) by Jayson & Mira Calton
- Grocery GPS.
- Choose fresh, local, unpasteurized, organic foods that have been raised naturally.
- Avoid unnatural ingredients and foods that deplete micronutrients; avoid wheat.
- Diet confusion by changing your dietary mix regularly.
- Low calorie, low fat, some liquid meals.
The Skinny Rules (2012) by Bob Harper
- High vegetable, protein, and fiber.
- No animal foods 1 day/week.
- Avoid processed foods.
- 1 splurge meal/week.
The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution (2013) by Arthur Agatston
- 4 week program avoiding gluten while following the basic principles of the South Beach Diet.
- Reintroduce gluten and see how you react to it.
The Starch Solution (2012) by John & Mary McDougall
- High-starch, very-low-fat, low protein
- Low processed foods
Sugar Crush (2015) by Dr. Richard P. Jacoby and Raquel Baldelomar
- Avoid all processed foods, added sugars, and sweeteners.
- Plan A – very low to zero carbohydrates, grass-fed protein, grass-fed fats.
- Or Plan B – variety of fruits and vegetables with low to moderate glycemic levels, limited grass-fed protein and dairy.
Super Immunity (2011) by Joel Fuhrman
- Vegan/near vegan, unprocessed foods.
- Concentrate on green vegetables, onions, mushrooms, berries, beans, seeds.
- High nutrient density, high ANDI scores.
Super SHRED (2013) by Ian K. Smith MD
- 4-week very rapid weight loss diet.
- Low/varied calories, high nutrient.
- Prescriptive meal plan with some flexibility.
- Follow with SHRED diet for further weight loss.
- Eat a paleo-like diet – low carbohydrate, gluten-free, high protein, vegetables, seaweed, real salt.
- Limit cruciferous vegetables.
- Avoid processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, soy, vegetable oil.
True Food (2012) by Andrew Weil MD, Sam Fox, and Michael Stebner
- Plate proportion, large amounts of vegetables.
- Fish and grass-fed beef/bison.
- Truly wholegrains – grains, not flour made from whole grains.
- Mainly organic, local, seasonal.
- Avoid processed foods, excessive animal fat.
Trust Your Gut (2013) by Gregory Plotnikoff MD & Mark Weisberg PhD
- Healing IBS and chronic digestive problems.
- Recognize reactive foods such as wheat, dairy, corn, nightshades, legumes.
- Test reactivity with elimination and rotation diets.
- Eat vegan before 6pm, mostly produce.
- After 6pm also eat animal protein and slightly processed foods.
- Try to avoid processed foods – if you do have them, limit them to after 6pm.
The Virgin Diet (2012) by JJ Virgin
- Elimination diet.
- Avoid the top 7 high-food intolerance foods – gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, peanuts, sugar and sweeteners – then introduce some of them to see how you react.
- Unprocessed foods.
- 1-2 meals per day are shakes.
- Get enough “Daily Dozen” nutrients every day – protein, produce, whole grains and legumes, vitamin C, calcium, iron, fats in moderation, omega fatty acids, fluids.
Wheat Belly (2011) by William Davis M.D.
- Gluten-free, unprocessed foods including vegetables, meats, raw nuts and seeds.
- Avoid processed and sugary foods.
Whole (2013) by T. Colin Campbell
- Vegan, plant-based.
- High whole carbohydrates, low fat, low protein.
- Avoid heavily processed foods, animal products, added salt, oil, sugar.
The Whole30 (2015) by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig
- Eat vegetables, protein, some fat.
- Eliminate alcohol, legumes, dairy, grains, sugars, processed foods.
- Reintroduce alcohol, legumes, dairy, grains to see how you react to them.
- Long term, eat mostly Whole30 foods (vegetables, protein, fat) with some conscious exceptions.
- Step 1: strict Paleo diet for 30 days to reset your body.
- Step 2: reintroduce foods to see how you react to them.
- Step 3: Lifetime diet – avoid foods you reacted to.
- 7-day cleanse and lifetime eating guidelines.
- Eat vegetables, fruits, lean protein, healthy fats, nuts and seeds, legumes.
- Three meals plus smoothie plus optional snack each day.
- One cheat meal a week.
- Avoid gluten, refined grains, dairy, sugar, processed foods.