- 3 weeks jumpstart, to be followed by The Skinny Rules.
- Very low-calorie diet for 3 weeks only – 800 calories a day for women, 1,200 calories a day for men.
- 40% of calories from protein, 40% from carbohydrates, 20% from fats.
- Lots of vegetables.
Below is a description of the food recommendations in the diet. There’s a lot more in the book.
Get a copy of Jumpstart to Skinny for the exercise plan, supplementation suggestions, menus, and recipes.
Jumpstart to Skinny diet plan – food list
Foods to eat in Jumpstart to Skinny
- Meal planning
- Eat 800 calories a day if you’re female and 1,200 calories a day if you’re male (very low-calorie diet VLCD). The recipes in the book are for 800 calorie servings, and male portions are 1.5 times the female portion.
- Get 40% of your calories from protein, 40% from carbohydrates, and 20% from fats at each meal. Some of the recipes have fewer than 40% of calories from carbohydrates, but that’s okay because you’re eating unlimited vegetables
- On top of that, you can eat unlimited amounts of “unlimited jumpstart veggies,” either raw or boiled or microwaved: arugula, asparagus, beet greens, bell peppers, bok choy, baby bok choy, broccoli, broccolini, brussels sprouts, green cabbage, red cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chard, chili peppers, chives, collard greens, cucumbers, dandelion greens, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, green beans, green onions, jicama, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, parsley, radicchio, radishes, rapini, scallions, spinach, summer squash, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, zucchini
- No grains, processed carbs, or potatoes after lunch
- There are detailed meal plans on pages 54-74. Power breakfasts, lean lunches, and thinner dinners. Recipes for these meal plans are on pages 112-195
- Poultry – e.g. skinless chicken breast, ground turkey breast, no-salt turkey breast
- Meat – lean beef steak, pork tenderloin or chop – remove all fat
- Egg whites
- Nonfat dairy – e.g. nonfat Greek yogurt
- Fish – e.g. cod, halibut, salmon, tuna
- Shellfish – e.g. shrimp
- Eat mostly fruits and vegetables (which the author describes as “simple carbohydrates”)
- Keep an eye on net carbs
- Rely most heavily on green vegetables. If you’re hungry, eat veggies. If you’re bored, eat veggies. Eat as many of the “unlimited jumpstart veggies” (above) as you want
- Other vegetables included in recipes but not listed as unlimited: avocados, onions, spaghetti squash
- Fruits – weeks 1 and 2 only. Prefer high-fiber fruits as they tend to be lower in net carbs – favorites include apples, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, and strawberries. Other fruits included in recipes include: mango, pineapple, watermelon
- For breakfast only: what the author calls “complex carbs” – recipes include ezekiel bread, rolled oats, quinoa, whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Drink a minimum of 80 ounces of water over the course of the day
- You can use regular soda water or no-sugar flavored club soda
- Coffee – espresso is the author’s “preferred delivery system,” but you could also have black coffee or tea. Don’t add any milk, cream, or artificial sweetener, or more than a very little bit of real sugar (half of one raw sugar package or cube is okay)
- Herbal teas
- Eat or drink foods with electrolytes
- Drink 8 ounces of electrolyte replacement twice a day, without any sweeteners (natural or artificial)
- Drink water and your electrolyte replacement before, during, and after exercise
- For potassium: lemons, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries
- For sodium: bell peppers, leaf lettuce, celery, radishes
- For magnesium: spinach and radishes
- For calcium: broccoli, celery, onions, apples
- Pantry and condiments
- Herbs including basil, bay leaves, cilantro, garlic, herbes de Provence, hot peppers, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- Spices including black pepper, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper
- Seeds including flaxseed
- Nuts including cashews, walnuts
- Unsweetened almond milk, natural unsweetened applesauce, Bragg’s liquid aminos, capers, hot sauce, lemon juice, lime juice, dijon mustard, parmesan cheese, vanilla extract, low-sodium vegetable broth, vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red wine vinegar)
Foods to avoid or limit with Jumpstart to Skinny
- Limit carbohydrates in processed starchy foods – e.g. breads, baked goods, pastas, crackers, potatoes
- No grains, processed starches, or potatoes after breakfast
- No fruits in week 3
- Fatty foods
- Limit salt to 1,000 milligrams a day
- No alcohol
After you’ve finished this 3-week program, transition to The Skinny Rules, which is a lifetime plan.
How has this diet helped you? Please add a comment below.